Educational institutions and employing organizations that maintain exceptional cooperative education programs can be nominated for the OCEA Award for Excellence. The E. Sam Sovilla Award for Excellence is the highest honor presented by the Association.
· Employing organizations or educational
institutions nominated by OCEA members will be
considered for the award based on the criteria set
forth. Not more than one award will be given in any
year. There is no requirement for the award to be
presented annually. The recipient can be located
outside the State. An organization can be nominated
annually but can receive the award no more than once
every five years.
· Consideration will be given both OCEA members and non-members.
· The award winner must demonstrate a clear history
of active involvement in cooperative education programs
by maintaining an active co-op program for five or more
Criteria for Selection:
· The historical perspective of the nominee's cooperative education program. The criteria for selection may include: years of program existence (5 consecutive years minimum), size of the program, majors involved, number of employers/educators used, etc.
· The unique qualities of the organization's cooperative education program. The criteria for selection may include: employer workshops, supervisor training, mentoring programs, exemplary student learning programs, culturally diverse workplace, etc.
· How the staff of the organization promotes and supports the ideas of cooperative education through quality student assignments. The criteria for selection may include: opportunity for full time employment/advancement, concern for learning outcomes of the work assignments, personal growth/development of the student, matched job placement opportunities with academic interests, guidance in assessing educational outcomes of co-op assignments, etc.
· How the organization provides financial and other support for cooperative education. The criteria for selection may include: educational scholarships or tuition assistance, student housing assistance, in-kind contributions to institutions/ organizations, volunteering time as guest speakers/lecturers etc.
· How the organization demonstrates support for the betterment of cooperative education through participation in the Ohio Cooperative Education Association and/or other professional organizations. The criteria for selection may include: years of active professional organization membership, offices and/or committee involvement, financial/in-kind contributions, etc.